Horse Play

All about the care of horses and ponies. Including training, grooming, health, showing, trail riding and more.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Welcome

Welcome to my horse barn. Pull up a bale of hay and sit a spell. Join me for a discussion about ponies and horses and see what it takes to have a healthy and happy relationship with one of these four legged creatures.

My first encounter with horses was with a mule named "Billy". Billy lived next door at my grandparents and he had a loving caretaker that was my Uncle Frank. Besides knowing everything there was to know about horses, Uncle Frank knew how to keep kids entertained. He never married but that didn't stop him from having a herd of kids surrounding him. All the houses around the farm had nieces and nephews that waited and watched for him to open the door.

Billy was one vehicle Frank used to entertain. He was used for farm chores such as pulling the plow through the garden, the mower through the fields, and the wagon to pick up the hay when dried. We would each get turns riding and learning to say "Gee" and "Haw" to steer Billy the mule in the right direction.

That was the beginning of my education in the horse field. Stop back later to see what else I learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home